Saturday, September 6, 2008

hope


"but this is not the destruction of a hopeless people.  it is about hope in the midst of despair and intervention by God in a hell where escapes seems an impossible dream." -faith mcdonnell (Girl Soldier)
______

i recently read the book Girl Soldier - a story of hope for northern uganda's children... an incredible account of one girls existence during the terrible reign of the LRA (lords resistance army) and the history around her emotional story. 
 
it brought me back to my time spent in uganda this past june... it reminded me of the sadness i felt for the people there who have endured so much... it brought tears to my eyes as i imagined the lives of my ugandan friends written into the pages of the book... it gave me a deeper understanding of those that have survived and forgave and overcame... it made me think.
it gave me hope...
because in the midst of despair - those that have so little, whose lives were threatened, those in which survival was hard even before the rebels came, those who persevered through unbearable circumstances - because in the midst...

they have hope.
______
"there is a defiant set of the thin shoulders among the children who make their way into town with whatever meager belongings they have to help them get through the night.  the defiance shows even when those shoulders are stooped in despair and depression...
there is a defiance deep in their eyes, even though the beautiful brown eyes that should flash with spirit and humor are dulled by fear and monotony.  their is defiance in the strong, high, clear voices that can still laugh or sing sweet songs while a symphony of evil is circling their heads...
this defiance has not been lost in many children because it is a gift from God.  it is the strengthening of a child's will and the ability to preserve that comes from His unseen, and maybe unfelt, embrace.  it is his Holy Spirit that whispers to a child's spirit, 'you are not invisible to me.  i am your protector.' "  -faith mcdonnell (Girl Soldier)
______
it is a hope that is within this defiance...

the people of uganda and the people in the townships here in south africa are not so different.  i can see this hope - as faint as it may be - in their eyes... and it is beautiful.  a quiet strength... holding onto God - the one constant. 
a hope that rises up saying - "God has not forgotten me".
Romans 5:5
"and hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

*photo by Chelsea Gentry

2 comments:

Michael Lockridge said...

It is a dangerous thing, this random blog reading. Oh, mostly I see some nice pictures, I try to read other languages, and I see a lot of families and friends sharing.

I forget that there is danger here. I forget that here my heart might be touched. It might be broken.

You brought a broken part of the world to my mind, and to my heart. I too often forget to look, to remember and pray.

You also brought me the reminder that hope shines most clearly in the darkness.

Thank you for sharing.

Kim Boynton said...

mmmmmmmmm......as our precious african friends say when they are moved by what is said. i know dear, almost daugher forever friend, that your gentle spirit is being moved by what you have seen this summer in two countries on this continent of africa! blessings and love from "home" (home is where the heart is after all).